Monday 2 January 2012

Nesting.

January. Cold. Bleak. Blah.

Though it's only the 2nd, I know most of you are looking forward to the end of this month. After all of the hype surrounding Christmas and the New Year, I'm sure that I'm not the only one that's dreading falling back into the daily grind. 

And if you're me, January also means returning to the city and being away from family, cold weather (this is 'Winterpeg' after all), dark nights, and little motivation to spend time outdoors for fear of freezing my poor fingers or toes.

It's easy to get down during this time of year - which has lead me to do whatever it takes to stay upbeat and motivated until spring (or a vacation of some sort) appear.

I've decided to go into nesting mode -
Pinned Image
The best part of my own nesting mode? No baby necessary.

All I want to do right now is tackle some projects around my place to make it feel that much more cozy and comfortable - a haven of sorts from those cold nights when all I want to do is make a b-line straight to my car from my office...driving home as quickly as I can. And what better time to create that haven than the month where I'm most likely to be inside the most?

And the best part? I think I can do everything on a budget. Or rather, I think I can tackle everything for little coin....I loathe the word budget...

I haven't figured out exactly what I want to accomplish yet, but I've already started to put together a bit of a list -

(before any of this goes down, I make sure that my iPod is charged and loaded with new music...)

-Paint bedroom
-Come up with an inexpensive headboard solution (it's time for a 'grown-up' bedroom)
-Scour the thrift & junk shops for another nightstand that I can refinish to accompany the one that I picked up this past summer
-Artwork for above my couch...something fun and different than the collage of frames that I'd previously had on display
-Possibly (depending on extra coin) repaint my living & dining room (again)...I made the mistake of buying cheap paint when I did everything earlier this fall...it's impossible to clean and in some spots is already marked up & looking nasty...which is why I haven't 'reveiled' what I did.
-Sort through totes of old college textbooks, notes, paperwork
-Arrange new filing system for bank statements, important documentation
-Par down the contents of my linen / tool closet - give away unused and older pieces, sort through tools...do I really need what seems like 90 paintbrushes or varying quality and size?
-Sort all holiday decorations before packing back up. How many Christmas balls do I really need? Anything that's old or past it's prime will take a hike.
-Organize kitchen cabinets...come up with a storage solution for spices / baking supplies...besides just throwing everything in the cupboard.
-Hunt down some inexpensive flat sheets that I can sew into curtain panels.

Whew.

And that's just what I came up with off the top of my head....I'm sure that with a few more minutes I could come up with a gazillion more ways to shake-up and improve my nest!

That should keep me going through January....and perhaps through February as well.

And of course I'm going to drag you along for the ride!


I honestly can't wait to get started! My place is like my haven from the busy world - why not make it that much more of a haven?

Where to begin?!
D-

What solutions and ideas do you have to combat a case of the 'January's?'

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...