Monday 10 October 2011

Dan does Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends! I hope that wherever you were you had your fill of turkey, pilgrims, buckles and pie! Well, okay, maybe no pilgrims or buckles, but plenty of stuffing, mashed potatoes and everything else!

This past Friday evening, Mister and I planned and executed our own little shin-dig and while it didn't turn out exactly as planned, but we still had a blast putting everything together!

Here's a sneak peek of what we did!
No too bad huh?! I decided to have a bit of fun with setting the table. I stopped at off at a dollar store & supermarket on Friday morning and found a couple of leafy garlands that I pulled apart. I then tossed in a couple of place mats that I picked up for a dollar each, threw in a bag of fall gourds and  it was feeling pretty festive!
Add in my fave yellow napkins, some swanky stemware, some candles and my silver napkin rings and we're starting to look even more festive!
Okay, so the table turned out looking pretty good, but what did we eat?!

In addition to the usual chicken, potatoes, etc, etc, I figured that I'd turn it up a couple of notches by finally making the pumpkin soup recipe that I stumbled across ages ago! There were a couple of glitches along the way that resulted in soup on the ceiling and a few burnt fingers but, other than that it turned out great! And guess, what?!? It was (with the exception of the burnt fingers and soup on the ceiling) relatively easy to make! 
 Relatively easy, but oh soooooo tasty!
Here's a quick rundown of the recipe that I used!

Dan's Uber Easy Pumpkin Soup -

1 tablespoon of butter

1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
2 cups of chicken stock (low sodium)
1 cup of applesauce (plain)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 16 ounce can of pureed pumpkin, or 16 ounces of fresh cooked & mashed pumpkin
8 to 12 ounces of evaporated milk

First off, melt butter in a medium sized pot, chop onion and add to melted butter. Saute onion in butter for 5 to 7 minutes or until cooked, stirring occasionally. Next up, you'll want to add the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and applesauce; stir and cook for four minutes. At this time, throw in (not literally) the pumpkin and chicken stock.


Stir. COVER. For the love of God COVER!!! Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer (definitely make sure that your heat is turned right down before taking lid off of pot to stir....this stuff bubbles!). Set your kitchen timer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. After this time, you'll want to uncover and pour in evaporated milk (I used a whole can)...if you want a thinner soup, use less milk, if you want a thicker soup - toss in the whole can.

Plate (or rather bowl...) and dig in! I served with wholewheat croutons, just to add a bit of crunch!

Doesn't sound too bad huh?!

And for dessert?

Well. That's another story.

One that includes me dropping A) my pumpkin spiced cupcakes on the floor and B) knocking the pumpkin spiced cream-cheese frosting off the counter while cleaning the pumpkin soup off of the ceiling...

It's a good thing Mister brought cookies! :)

Regardless of where you are or what you did, I hope that you had an awesome weekend!

D-

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...