Saturday 20 August 2011

Weekend tunes.

It's officially the weekend! I don't know about you, but I'm more than ready for a couple days of downtime. This past week kicked my ass. So I'm more than ready for sunshine, sleeping in and singing (albeit poorly) at the top of my lungs while cruising around.

I'm looking at another jam-packed, but relaxing weekend - including a mini road trip (mini as in less than two hours in the cougar car), but a road trip none the less. And while there are times where I like to drive and just ponder, admiring the scenery and think about whatever comes to mind, more often than not I want to be listening to the perfect driving play list.

I'll be the first to admit that technology and I don't always get along - that said, I wanted to share with you some of the randomness that will hopefully be making its way onto the ol' iPod this weekend.

Without further ado, the ten most random tracks that I'll be listening to this weekend -

1. Nicola Roberts - Lucky Day


They finally let the ginger one from Girls Aloud have her own solo record. I was all over the first single, but this one is even better. Her outfit in the vid is a bit, well, lacking, but I love everything else. Roberts worked with Dragonette, one of my fave Canadian, Brit based groups to produce this track and you can tell. Its got a very 'Dragonette' (without Martin Solveg) feel to it. Definitely worth a listen! Her vocals are amazing and I love the simplicity of the track.

2. Rye Rye Ft. Robyn - Never Will Be Mine


Apparently this track has been out for a couple of months, but I just discovered it tonight. I have no idea who this Rye Rye chick is, but I love this duet that she did with Swedish superstar Robyn. Smart move on her part. 

3. Olly Murs - Heart Skips a Beat


I haven't figured out where this song is going to land on the UK charts when it's released in September. It's a departure for Murs, but a good one at that. He's got a wicked voice and the ballads were doing nothing for me. This is one of those fun songs that gets stuck in your head (in a good way). If only he'd ditch the stupid hat in the vid.

4. Jessie J - Domino


So what if it sounds like a castoff from the Katy Perry pile of fun. I love it. Jessie J sings the hell out of this song. It's the perfect late summer track - light, fluffy and with lyrics I can remember and sing along to. Something tells me that this track is going to be huge - give it a couple of months and we'll be hearing it everywhere.

5. Moses Mayes - Schmarck Attack


Sometimes a guy doesn't need lyrics to sing along to. I love everything about this track! Moses Mayes is a Winnipeg based group that I've recently stumbled across and I love a lot of their work - a fusion of funk, acid jazz, turntables and ol' skool. Also check out their track Elevate....it'll elevate you. No seriously. 

6. Andy Grammer - Keep Your Head Up


My feel good song of the summer. Plain and simple. There's something about this guy's voice that does it for me.

7. Noisettes - Don't Upset The Rhythm


This track came out a couple of years ago, but it's still one of my fave driving tracks. When the lead singer hits the chorus I get to experience what I like to call my "car commercial" moment. Seriously. If I where ever to select the track for a car commercial, this would be it. Have a listen.

8. Nicole Scherzinger - Say Yes


You can laugh all you want, but I'm totally in love with Nicole Scherzinger's solo album. She's been getting loads of attention overseas and for me, this is by far the standout track. Her voice is amazing. Total single material.

9. Pitbull Ft. Jencarlos - Tu Cuerpo


What would a play list be without at least one Pitbull track?! Pitbull in English generally annoys me (that and it doesn't matter how expensive this linen suits are, he still looks dirty), but en Espanol I love him! I heard this song a gazillion times when I was in Mexico this spring and haven't tired of it. That and whenever I'm listening to it I like to think about the time that I attempted to mimic the blond backup dancer's moves....the results weren't pretty....but that's a story for another time.

10. Kim Kardashian - Jam (This is Kardashian free blog) 

10. Sophie Ellis Bextor Ft. Junior Caldera - Can't Fight This Feeling


I still haven't figured out why my girlfriend Sophie Ellis Bextor isn't more popular. She's amazing. She's got a distinctly 'British' sounding voice which sounds wicked when paired with the best-of-the-best DJs. That and she's hot to boot. This track came out last spring....and ended being huge in Poland. Totally a driving tune. Almost as good as this track, another track of her's that only ended up being a B-Side - 


And there you have it. Ten plus random songs for your weekend listening enjoyment. See, I told you that it'd be random! But, that said it's all amazing randomness. I'd never share bad music with you.

What's on your weekend play list? Share your fave tunes! I'm always on the hunt for something new and exciting to listen to!

Wherever you are, and whatever you're doing this weekend, enjoy!
D-

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...