Monday 5 September 2011

The Amazing Race!

Happy Labour Day friends! I hope that like me, you're taking today to kickback and catch-up on some much needed r'n'r. It's been an insanely busy weekend so today is all about watching reruns of Three's Company, flipping through magazines, brainstorming and just...chillaxing.

Beginning Friday afternoon and ending last night, Mister and I, along with a couple of friends partook in the Pembina Valley Amazing Race. Two days, about 900KM, thirteen towns and a gazillion challenges later I'm all for crashing today. Like the show we had missions to complete in set times, check-ins, bonus points and the whole nine yards. Zip-lining, scavenger hunts, museums, jingle writing...you name it, we did it.

While our team didn't win any prizes, I did have fun (although I have no plans to eat two more cups of red Jello as fast as I can anytime soon)! Although we were rushed, we did find a couple of minutes to take some shots along the way! 
Holding up the world's largest pumpkin in Roland, MB.
Our favourite stop was the town of Plum Coulee and we can't wait to get back there to do some more exploring! We loved Annajo's Bistro which had the best chicken & bacon paninis ever (seriously; you must go!)....no pics too hungry! 
The Plum Coulee Museum (Former Pool Elevator)
I loved the town's museum! Located in the former Pool grain elevator, the museum had so much to offer. I love learning about local history and this place didn't disappoint. There was so much eye candy! Vintage housewares and books, old maps and photos, cool old farm tools and gadgets....my team practically had to drag me out of there - I could have spent days looking around!

As my team worked to finish our mission I ran around and took as many pictures as I could; here are a couple of my favourite shots!





Pretty neat huh? And before I forget, I need to tell you about the village grocery store. I've been in a number of small-town grocery stores in my time. You know the type - they serve as grocery store / liquor mart / insurance agent and post office. But not this one! In addition to your standard grocery basics, Prairie Foods also stocks a huge mix of Mexican groceries, local produce, organic and gluten free products, local meats and eggs, Mennonite cookbooks, plus loads of area grains and flours. 

That, and to top it off....I spotted what looks like a HUGE thrift store - which I warned Mister we'd be checking out at some point. They might not be as big as the ones in the city, but they have the BEST selections!

How'd you spend your long weekend!

See yah soon Plum Coulee!
D-


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...