Thursday 29 September 2011

Thrift Thursday.

Over the past couple of weeks, I really haven't had much time to treasure hunt - but luckily, everything that's been kind of up in the air is slowly starting to settle into place again. Well, not really, but that's another story, for another time. 

Anyways, as luck would have it, I finally had a chance to hit up a couple of shops the other day and I struck the mother load! This spring the shops were ripe for the picking, but over the past couple of months, I've come up short on my quest for coolness. However, with fall comes a fresh mix of pieces. Pieces calling out to me to take them home...

First up, I've been on the hunt for a mix of Christmas cookie cutters since last Christmas. I'd previously been gifted a few pieces, perfect for making my gingerbread aliens and gingerbread celebrities (stay tuned), but I wanted to expand the mix to include the usual trees, sleighs and reindeer. As luck would have it I stumbled across a set of 12 and grabbed them from the merchandiser as she was putting them on display. $1.99 for the set = sold!
Next up, I've got a fun mix to share with you! I found this nifty horse ornament for under a dollar under a pile at Goodwill. Unfortunately, the cashier didn't wrap this poor guy up well enough and one of his ears ended up chipped. I'm thinking that with a bit of putty to repair / rebuild his ear and multiple coats of matte white spray paint he'll look spiffy on one of my bookshelves. Toss in a couple of pieces of milk glass found for .99 each, and two awesome prints for $1.99 each and I'm a happy camper.
And what is the book you ask? Get this - I found Martha Stewart's Housekeeping Handbook, brand new, still wrapped in the plastic for $4.99 at Value Village. I've been eyeing up this $50.00 retail book for ages now.....it's deals like that that have this guy busting a sweet move down the aisles of the store.
I've got some awesome plans for these pieces over the next couple of weeks. I've got a mate that's a professional framer and I'm thinking that I might see if he can come up with a cool matting / frame combo for the prints. I'm considering hanging them in my dining room....perhaps creating a bit of a theme when put together with my snazzy school map.
As for the milk glass vases, I'm all over the idea of using them extensively when decorating this holiday season. I've got a couple of ideas up my sleeve....the wheels are turning....I just need to see if the ideas stack up before sharing them with you guys (and looking goofy in the process)!

A successful haul? I'd say so! Now to put these pieces to work!

D-

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...