So it's been a couple months (almost four) since I began posting my rambling musings. In that time we've touched on a bit of everything and anything. I've shared some projects with you, given you a few brief glimpses into my apartment, shared photos and ideas that inspire me, and have rambled enough that I'm sure you can't help but sit back and smile while reading (well, that's my goal isn't it?).
That said, though I feel like I've been giving you wee glimpses into who I am, I don't feel like we really know each other yet. I feel that while I've given you snippets of who I am, what I like, where I come from, that you're missing out on knowing some of the pivotal things that make Dan, well, Dan.
|Mexico - Spring 2011|
Therefore I present to you, an updated version of my '25 things about me' list....which first appeared on Facebook a couple years back (and has since been completely overhauled. It's amazing how much a guy can change & grow in a few short years.
25 Dan Facts (in no particular order)
1. I don't know what I want to be when I grow-up. True story. I guess you could call what I'm doing a career, but most of the time, it really doesn't feel like one...I'm the last person that should be a hardware buyer.
2. I'm kind of a scatterbrain. I'm the guy who will have friends over, will ask them if they want drinks, will prepare drinks only to return to the conversation without them - completely forgetting that I've prepared them (this happens more often than I'm willing to admit).
3.I start to panic when there's under a liter of milk in my fridge. Seriously. How am I going to have a bowl of cereal or make pancakes if I don't have any milk?
4. On that note, I make awesome pancakes.
5. I adore bad British pop music, a fact that I'm not ashamed to share. My latest obsession -
6. I've mentioned it in passing, but I grew up on a farm, but by no means am I a farmer. I gave it an honest go, but it's not for me. I can appreciate all the hard work that goes into what my family does, but it's not for me. That said, I miss living in the country.
7. I don't like scary movies. I'm a big suck when it comes to having to watch something that involves blood and chainsaws or scary demon children. I'll either pout my way out of having to watch flicks like this or will pull my sweater over my eyes. I'd much rather spend my evening watching something like this -
8. If you haven't figured it out by now, I love, love, love thrifting / auctions / tag sales / dumpster diving & treasure hunting. There's something about finding a piece or pieces for next to nothing that makes my heart flutter. Well, not really, but seriously - go ahead and shop retail. Spend your coin, and when we meet up I'll tell you about how I found the same glassware for pennies on the dollar.
9. My Mom's garden is my happy place. There's something about being a gazillion miles from the city, surrounded by a bunch of plants, a crabby house cat and two dogs that can put a guy at ease. I used to hate weeding the garden when I was a kid, now I can't wait to get back there.
10. I'm one of those guys who happens to like guys...I came out at 24 and it was the easiest / hardest thing that I've ever done. It's a part of me, but it's not what defines me. At the end of the day I think that regardless of who we are we all what the same thing - someone to love and care for. Why 24? I'm not sure, it just felt like it was my time. That and everyone else had figured it out years before hand.
11. Related to the last point, I'm comfortable enough in my own skin that I've kicked people out of my office and have have dropped business relationships with individuals who felt the need to slag me or those like me....be warned!
12. I have a secret weakness for jujubes and jellybeans. If there's a bag or container hiding in my kitchen or in an office drawer I'll tear through them in an afternoon or evening.
13. Sometimes I'll dream about what it would be like to one day hop on a jet plane destined for some exotic locale. No return flight booked. Imagine it! New York, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Sydney, Paris, London, Monte Carlo, Madrid. Being the farm boy that I am, I've only recently had the opportunity to begin travelling and I think about these places on a daily basis....wondering when I'll have the opportunity to visit them.
14. To inspire me, and to keep my dream of travelling abroad intact, I have an old school map hanging on one wall in my dining room. It's a little bit dated (Soviet Russia anyone?) but it serves as a constant reminder that there's a whole other world out there ready to be explored.
15. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. Most of the time, it's only after the fact that I understand why I've gone through certain scenarios or why I've been dealt the blows I have, but I know that regardless of whatever happens, everything is a life lesson.
16. I make the best mojitos ever. They will blow your mind. I don't measure - I pour. Americans and Europeans may 'free pour'...but you haven't had a drink until you've experienced a 'Dan Drink.'
17. I've been thinking about getting some ink for a couple of years now. Nothing big or garish, but A) haven't come up with a word or image that's unique enough that I want to spend the rest of my life with it on my wrist and B) at 26 I'm still terrified as to what my Mom would think or say if I did that.
18. On that note, I consider my Mom one of my best friends. I love and adore her. We've been through a lot together and I know that she's always got my back. That and she has all of the blackmail worthy shots of me....so I have to stay on her good side!
19. I always have, and always will drive a black vehicle. Even if my current wheels are more worthy of a middle aged divorcee cougar named Brenda who sells Avon part time, there's just something about a black vehicle that makes it that much classier than everything else out there.
20. I truly believe that quality is better than quantity when it comes to friends. My Facebook list is prime example of this. A month or so ago, I went from close to 250 people on my list to 68. Why carry around a bunch of baggage from high school and college? Sure it's fun to creep out on the slutty girl from junior high french or that jock from college, but seriously, I'd rather grow the friendships with the people that I genuinely like and care about than pretend to be friends with the people that I could care less about.
21. My books are like my children. If I were ever to catch you using one as a coaster I would be forced to attach you. I don't even want to think about what I'd have to do to you if I caught you folding down the corner of a page.
22. I grew up watching MGM musicals and comedies from the 40s through 60s. Sometimes I have a hard time watching newer movies. I'd rather watch Audrey Hepburn and Carey Grant than Megan Fox and a bunch of computer generated cars. I was probably the only 12 year old who watched 'Breakfast At Tiffany's' and knew what a call girl was. Hmm....
23. I have the dirtiest sense of humour. I don't know where I picked it up from. I enjoy it, and it makes me laugh and smile knowing that I can come out with some pretty saucy one-liners, but please, don't tell my Mom this fact.
24. I'm a big animal lover! Not so much cows or pigs (*shudder), but I've never met a cat that I didn't like. Well, okay maybe one (we used to have a cat that my sister and I nicknamed 'Spawn Of Satan'...but I'm pretty sure that somewhere deep down inside he too was a nice cat). I can't wait for a somewhat normal schedule and routine so that I too can invite a furry friend into my home.
25. I have a tendency to ramble. I can't help it. It doesn't matter if I'm telling you a story while sitting across the table from you, or if I'm sharing a thought, idea or story here with you online. I don't want to leave anything out! Some people find it annoying (myself included from time to time), but hey, I've always found that it's better to give too many details vs. leaving out half the story.
And there you have it. 25 facts. That said. I have one more that I want to squeeze in, just because.
26. This cracks me up. Every time. BBC comedies are where it's at. You must watch this - in full.
So that's me in a nutshell. Well, most of me. Obviously I can't share everything with you....I have to keep some secrets - but get me rambling and I'm sure that I'll share more Dan facts with you.
Share with me a couple fun / random / obscure facts about yourself.